Competitor Games

We are the Competition

New Mysteries [3.5 Shadow Magic] (PEACH)

Game design for the d20 system

New Mysteries [3.5 Shadow Magic] (PEACH)

Postby DragoonWraith » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:41 am

Paths and Mysteries
Apprentice Path Mysteries
Arcana Noctis
  1. Spell's Penumbra — Re-establish dispelled or countered spell.
  2. Disrupting Shade — Delay spell's effect for 1 round.
  3. Culling Shadows — As the Dispel Magic, but with no maximum bonus.

New Mysteries
Culling Shadows
Apprentice, Arcana Noctis
Level/School: 3rd/Abjuration

This mystery functions as the spell Dispel Magic, except it has no maximum bonus limit on the Caster Level check.

Disrupting Shade
Level/School: 2nd/Abjuration
Casting Time: One immediate action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One spell being cast
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
As the wizard weaves his threads of arcana, the shadowcaster intertwines dark tendrils of the spell's shadow, slowing its growth.

The target spell has its own effects delayed by 1 round. This round does not count towards the effect's duration.

This mystery is used as an immediate action.

This mystery targets and affects another "spell" — this may be any ability of a type that could be affected by Dispel Magic. Thus, if playing with Magic/Psionic Transparency, it would affect Psionic Powers, as well as Arcane or Divine spells, and Spell-like Abilities. Even if the particular ability would never be a valid target for Dispel Magic (an instantaneous Spell-like Ability, for example, which cannot be counterspelled and does not leave any effect that might be dispelled), it is still a valid target for this mystery so long as the type of ability (in the example, a Spell-like Ability) is generally affected by Dispel Magic. Abilities that are explicitly immune to Dispel Magic (rather than being immune by virtue of circumstance, as with the example) are immune to this mystery, however. In addition, in order to use this mystery, a Mystery-user must be able to identify the effect that is its target (by using Spellcraft or similar).

If the cause of the effect (the one casting the spell, for example) has Spell Resistance, this mystery must overcome that Spell Resistance in order to function.

The user of this mystery cannot use it while casting their own spell or using some other mystery, so it cannot affect one's own effects.

Spell's Penumbra
Level/School: 1st/Abjuration
Casting Time: One immediate action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One spell with non-instantaneous duration ended prematurely in the last round
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: No
Even as the cleric breaks the enchantments around the warrior's mind, the shadowcaster retraces the arcana's shadow, returning the effect to its full power.

The target effect is returned to its former status, continuing as it was before being ended. In order to use this mystery on an effect, a Shadowcaster must have line of effect to either the creature or object the effect had been set upon, or to the origin of the effect if affected an area.

This mystery is used as an immediate action.

Any time during which the effect did not exist does still counts towards its duration. No effect that was ended simply because its duration expired may be re-established by this mystery. Similarly, no effect that was discharged for some greater effect may be re-established. Effects that were merely dismissed, or dispelled, may be re-established, however.

To be re-established, an effect must have been established in the first place. This mystery may not be used to re-establish effects that were disrupted during casting, or that failed to work due to saving throws, spell resistance, or other issues. If an effect had been in place, but allowed more than one saving throw and was ended by a successful save, it cannot be re-established, either. This mystery further confers no immunity or resistance to being dispelled or canceled out again; if the cause of the cancellation is still present, the effect will simply be immediately re-canceled.

If the target effect was operating on a particular creature, that creature may, if he or she wishes, attempt a Will save to prevent the effect from being re-established. No one may make a save for area effects, summoning effects, or for effects on unattended, non-magical objects.
"change the world..."
DragoonWraith
Site Admin

Re: New Mysteries [3.5 Shadow Magic] (PEACH)

Postby Peacenlove » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:34 am

Spell's Penumbra and Disrupting Shade are kinda original, while specialized, and I like them.
Spell's penumbra range is undetermined. From how afar can I reestablish effects?
Minor edit: all mysteries are standard action and those who break the rule state so in the mystery's description ("you can cast this mystery as a swift/immediate action"), rather than adding a separate line.
Culling shadows steps on Shadow's fade toes. While I may understand your concern that Shadow's fade is weak (Warp spell is usually the superior choice), replicating mysteries is not good because the shadowcaster has a few amount of them and it is better to come with something that brings variety to the table.
I will brainstorm ideas for Culling shadows if you like, and maybe a Path Mastery, if you use Realms of Chaos material.
Peacenlove

Postby DragoonWraith » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:43 pm

No, basically: fuck Shadows Fade. Dispel Magic as 4th-level mystery is stupid, and for the Shadowcaster, who is supposed to excel at manipulating magic, to blow two Mysteries known on it (for Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel Magic) is even dumber. I made these at the suggestion of my DM, because I wanted to make a Noctumancer Counterspeller, but was very frustrated at how long it was taking me to even get any form of Dispel Magic.

As for the rule about Mysteries taking a Standard Action, that's really dumb too, but thanks for pointing out the way Tome of Magic handles exceptions; on my look-through, I'd gotten the impression that there weren't any.

As for Realms of Chaos, you mean the Shadow Theory thing? I'd forgotten about that; thank you for reminding me. My DM and I were both nonplussed by the Shadowcaster, and even after he tried to throw them a few bones (may cast each Mystery X/encounter) we still were pretty meh on them. Be good to have some more thorough work done on them. Of course, the game's also probably dead since so many people have missed sessions and the DM's starting up school soon, but meh.
"change the world..."
DragoonWraith
Site Admin

Postby Peacenlove » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:36 pm

DragoonWraith wrote:No, basically: fuck Shadows Fade. Dispel Magic as 4th-level mystery is stupid, and for the Shadowcaster, who is supposed to excel at manipulating magic, to blow two Mysteries known on it (for Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel Magic) is even dumber. I made these at the suggestion of my DM, because I wanted to make a Noctumancer Counterspeller, but was very frustrated at how long it was taking me to even get any form of Dispel Magic.

Arcane turmoil from complete mage would work nicely. It's a 2nd level spell too, allowing for adding power to it to bump it to 3rd level.
As for the rule about Mysteries taking a Standard Action, that's really dumb too, but thanks for pointing out the way Tome of Magic handles exceptions; on my look-through, I'd gotten the impression that there weren't any.

Shadow skin and Warp spell actually are the only exceptions AFAIK.

As for Realms of Chaos, you mean the Shadow Theory thing? I'd forgotten about that; thank you for reminding me. My DM and I were both nonplussed by the Shadowcaster, and even after he tried to throw them a few bones (may cast each Mystery X/encounter) we still were pretty meh on them. Be good to have some more thorough work done on them. Of course, the game's also probably dead since so many people have missed sessions and the DM's starting up school soon, but meh.

Descent of Shadows is brilliant, I playtested it for years and am absolutely satisfied. Helped correct some errors too.
Also if you are interested, in my Complete shadow forum, I have a version of the shadowcaster, adapted to the Descent of shadows project.
My last advice would be to get some scrolls/staves crafted and find a method to contribute outside your mysteries (Imperious ommand/fearsome armor (DotU) and/or the ritual of black flame in Lords of Darkness), cause the shadowcaster runs out of fuel very quickly.
Peacenlove

Postby DragoonWraith » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Peacenlove wrote:Arcane turmoil from complete mage would work nicely. It's a 2nd level spell too, allowing for adding power to it to bump it to 3rd level.

As I said, I don't want to "avoid stepping on Shadows Fade's toes" — Shadows Fade is a miserably poor Path and should never have been written. Wait, what? I just looked up Arcane Turmoil... this is lower level than Dispel Magic? That seems bizarre. Anyway, good call; that's a nifty spell that would be quite fitting. Of course, it doesn't help with the specific goal of this little project (allow my Counterspeller to get online faster), but yeah, that's a cool effect. Thanks for pointing it out.

Peacenlove wrote:Shadow skin and Warp spell actually are the only exceptions AFAIK.

Good to know.

Peacenlove wrote:Descent of Shadows is brilliant, I playtested it for years and am absolutely satisfied. Helped correct some errors too.
Also if you are interested, in my Complete shadow forum, I have a version of the shadowcaster, adapted to the Descent of shadows project.

Heh, that I am aware of: I'll take a look, both at RoC's and yours. But as I recall, both are rather large...

Peacenlove wrote:My last advice would be to get some scrolls/staves crafted and find a method to contribute outside your mysteries (Imperious ommand/fearsome armor (DotU) and/or the ritual of black flame in Lords of Darkness), cause the shadowcaster runs out of fuel very quickly.

Meh, that bores me. I want to play a Shadowcaster, not a Shadowcaster for one fight and a Commoner for the rest.
"change the world..."
DragoonWraith
Site Admin

Return to d20 Design