Spitting Dilophosaurus
Small Magical Beast

Hit Die: 3d10 (16 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+4 natural, +5 Dex +1 size), touch 16, flat footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+0
Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d4+1 damage)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +5 melee (1d4+1 damage)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Acidic Venom
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +4
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 21, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 17, Cha 14
Skills: Track +4, Intimidate +12
Feats: Improved Initiative
Environment: Warm Forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: -----

This small dinosaur looks similar to the much larger Dilophosaurus. It seems rather passive, until it reveals its frill, and starts to eject a black liquid from its mouth.

These creatures are believed to be descended from the experiments of Yuan-Ti. Their ancestors were originally bred to be guardian animals for Yuan-Ti outposts, but after they were abandoned, they had to go through major evolutionary changes to survive. Because of their reduced size, they needed to find a way of hunting and killing creatures far larger than them. For this purpose, they developed venom glands to slow down prey. To intimidate other carnivores away from their kills, they slowly developed neck-frills. While maybe not as feared as their larger progenitors, Spitting Dilophosauruses are still something to be feared.

Combat
First, Spitting Dilophosauruses try to scare their prey into a dead end using their neck-frills, so the prey cannot escape. After that, they repeatedly spit their paralyzing venom at their targets. Once the hunted is paralyzed, the Dilophosaurus tries to kill it with its claws, repeating the spitting process if necessary.

Venom (Ex): A Spitting Dilophosaurus can spit its venom at a range of 30 ft. Treat the spitting as a touch attack. If the attack is a success, the victim must make a fortitude save (DC 15), or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds. It can spit every five rounds.

Skills: A Spitting Dilophosaurus can use its neck-frill to startle enemies, giving it a +8 bonus to intimidate checks.
LOTRfan

Re: For those Jurassic Park Fans (PEACH)

Postby DragoonWraith » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:47 am

Paralysis seems really rough for a CR 3 creature. Unsure about that; seems to me that the Jurassic Park Dilophosaurus could be reasonably modeled by just having the spit blind. That was how I remembered the thing, anyway.
"change the world..."
DragoonWraith
Site Admin

Postby Fax » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 am

DragoonWraith wrote:Paralysis seems really rough for a CR 3 creature. Unsure about that; seems to me that the Jurassic Park Dilophosaurus could be reasonably modeled by just having the spit blind. That was how I remembered the thing, anyway.

Ghouls are CR 1 and inflict paralysis.
Deliberately Limited Masterful Mastermind
Fax
Site Admin

Postby LOTRfan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 am

That was my reasoning. I can see how that ability could be rather tough, though, so I'll remove the acid damage it causes.
LOTRfan

Return to The Sauric Isles