Competitor Games

We are the Competition

General Discussion

For Ina's modification of 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons.

Moderator: Ina

General Discussion

Postby Ina » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 pm

This is a thread for General Discussion about Basilisks and Bastions.

Currently, I'm working on getting data written out, but feel free to comment on what I have to show so far.
Ina

Re: General Discussion

Postby Lord_Gareth » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:36 pm

It all sucks and I hate it!
 ! Ina wrote:
Constructive cricism only pl... oh wait, you do that later on.

Kidding, kidding. I note mostly static bonuses on races; are you intentionally making them non-scaling? What are your design goals?
"There is no 'I' in 'Team', but there is a 'We' in 'Weapon'."
Lord_Gareth

Postby Ina » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:Kidding, kidding. I note mostly static bonuses on races; are you intentionally making them non-scaling? What are your design goals?

Racial Scaling will be implemented through feats, which will allow people to focus on their race's abilities should they so wish to.

Unlike in 3.5, my feats will scale, trust me.
Ina

Postby Lord_Gareth » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Hrmm. As a designer myself, I'm having a hard time imagining racial feats (which are often built around themes) staying competitive/versatile enough to be worth the investment. Do you have a proof-of-concept available?
"There is no 'I' in 'Team', but there is a 'We' in 'Weapon'."
Lord_Gareth

Postby Ina » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 am

Lord_Gareth wrote:Hrmm. As a designer myself, I'm having a hard time imagining racial feats (which are often built around themes) staying competitive/versatile enough to be worth the investment. Do you have a proof-of-concept available?

I am working on them, but it's still in a rough state. Here, however, is an example line (for elves, primarily meant for rangers and druids) It also needs a few more feats to complete it. Also note that this is not the only Elven feat line that's going to exist.

Wildstalker [Elf]
You have trained your natural wild aptitude into a honed sense for the hunt.
Prerequisites: Elf
Benefits: You gain the Track Survival Option. You gain a bonus to tracking in non-urban environments equal to half the number of Elf feats you possess (rounded down.)

Wildhunter [Elf]
You have further honed your wild aptitude, focusing on taking down your foes.
Prerequisites: Elf, Wildstalker
Benefits: You gain the Twin Shot maneuver. You gain a rend bonus to damage if both arrows hit the same target equal to twice the number of Elf feats you possess.

Wildslayer [Elf]
You have honed your ability to slay your foes - or the foes of the forests - however many they may be.
Prerequisites: Elf, Wildstalker, Wildhunter
Benefits: You gain the Arrow Spray maneuver. You reduce the penalty to attack rolls when using this maneuver by 1 for every three Elf feats you possess.

Death from the Forests [Elf]
You are capable of slaying your foes with relative ease.
Prerequisites: Elf, Wildstalker, Wildhunter
Benefits: You gain the Power Shot maneuver. You reduce the penalty to attack rolls when using this maneuver by 1 for every three Elf feats you possess.

Wildrunner [Elf]
You have honer your sense for the wild in order to be able to track at rapid paces.
Prerequisites: Elf, Wildstalker
Benefits: You gain the Swerving Run maneuver. You can track at full walking speed if you have at least 2 Elf feats. If you have at least 4 Elf feats you can track at hustling speed, and if you have at least 8 Elf feats you can track at running speed.
Ina

Postby Siosilvar » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 am

If all the races grant 8 + 2/lvl skill points, wouldn't it be simpler to just state "all characters get 8 + 2/lvl racial skill points, which can only be spent on the skills listed in the race description"?
Siosilvar

Postby Ina » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Siosilvar wrote:If all the races grant 8 + 2/lvl skill points, wouldn't it be simpler to just state "all characters get 8 + 2/lvl racial skill points, which can only be spent on the skills listed in the race description"?

While this is a trend of character races as shown so far, it's not considered an overall requirement for a race.
Ina

Postby Siosilvar » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Ina wrote:
Siosilvar wrote:If all the races grant 8 + 2/lvl skill points, wouldn't it be simpler to just state "all characters get 8 + 2/lvl racial skill points, which can only be spent on the skills listed in the race description"?

While this is a trend of character races as shown so far, it's not considered an overall requirement for a race.

Good enough explanation for me.

EDIT: So that's where I saw Dwarves as Small with Powerful Build. That was an excellent idea.
Siosilvar

Return to Basilisks and Bastions