Competitor Games

We are the Competition

D20r - Design Goals

For the d20 Rebirth system, headed by Fax Celestis

Moderator: Fax

D20r - Design Goals

Postby Lord_Gareth » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:48 pm

I hope Fax doesn't mind my temerity in placing this here, but I was not only wondering about Fax's design goals for D20r (aside from balance), but what the player community would like to see out of this system. What do we wanna see if Fax is willing/able?
"There is no 'I' in 'Team', but there is a 'We' in 'Weapon'."
Lord_Gareth

Re: D20r - Design Goals

Postby Flickerdart » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:06 pm

Making katanas not underpowered.

In all seriousness, balance seems like a sufficient goal to me. Fixing multiclassing instead of discouraging it could be nice, but I don't think anyone but me cares about that too much. Making magic not the answer to everything also seems to be going smashingly, if we take the Rogue as an example of mundane usefulness.

How about reducing the significance of action advantage? That could be a pretty interesting design goal. Fielding a singular enemy only to get "daze, wtfpwn" is a little annoying. Oh, and making CR mean something. That would be really nice. So far it seems that d20r has focused mostly on races and classes, and not nearly enough on enemies.
Flickerdart

Postby Fax » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:25 pm

To be honest, I've focused a lot on races and classes so far because they can also work as opponents. Monsters are more complicated, and I want to finish a PHB equivalent before diving into an MM equivalent.
Deliberately Limited Masterful Mastermind
Fax
Site Admin

Postby Fax » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:27 pm

To expound on this, I follow these principles pretty closely when designing material:
  • Every class should be very good at its intended purpose, and be capable in other purposes.
  • Every class should have an augmentable/expandable feature (like a wizard's spellcasting). Base classes should never be restricted to an option-less set of features.
  • Every class should have something it can do that no one else can do.
  • Every race should have at least one increasing level-based mechanic, so that race remains relevant throughout your career.

Some basic assumptions I make about the game:
  • Natural attacks, spell-like abilities, and spell resistance are not worth level adjustment.
  • Part of the problem with 3.5 is that certain classes are infinitely expandable without alternate class features (spellcasters, particularly those that know their entire lists), while other classes are not (like the monk).
  • Look-up tables and roll/check/roll/check mechanics (like turn undead) should not exist.
Fax
Site Admin

Postby Flickerdart » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:32 pm

A useful design goal (unless you aim to leave 3.5 grognards as your sole audience) is to reduce the number of redundant and similar options in the system. All class features that are named the same should do the same thing, and all class features that do the same thing should have identical names. For example, I think that Fly-by Attack, Shot on the Run, etc. can and should be folded into Spring Attack simply because they do the same thing. The investing mechanic contributes significantly to this anyway, so I don't see any reason not to go the extra step.
Flickerdart

Postby Fax » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Streamlining is actually a design goal I left off.
Fax
Site Admin

Return to d20 Rebirth