Competitor Games

We are the Competition

[Race, Extension] Drow

For the d20 Rebirth system, headed by Fax Celestis

Moderator: Fax

[Race, Extension] Drow

Postby DragoonWraith » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Basically, I don't like Fax's Drow. They're really weak, especially compared to D20r:Humans. Hence, revision.

Drow
  • Abilities: +2 Dex, +2 Int, Wis, or Cha, -2 Con. Drow are lithe and cunning, but like most elves they can be fragile.
  • Medium: As medium creatures, drow do not receive any special bonuses based on size.
  • Speed: A drow's base land speed is 30 ft.
  • Humanoid (Elf): Drow are Humanoid creatures with the Elf subtype.
  • Everwaking: Immune to Sleep spells and effects. Elves like the drow do not sleep: rather, they enter a trance to rest.
  • Darkvision: Drow can see in black and white even without any light source of any kind, out to 120 ft.
  • Low-light Vision: With even minimal light, drow can also see in color.
  • Spell Resistance: Drow have a natural spell resistance equal to 3 + class levels.
  • Strong-Willed: +2 racial bonus on Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities.
  • Poison Use: A drow never has to worry about poisoning himself when applying a poison to a weapon.
  • Natural Magic: A drow has a small pool of magical charges they may tap into daily. A drow has one daily charge, plus one additional daily charge per three class levels. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following spell-like abilities or to power a feat with the [Drow] descriptor: dancing lights, darkness, faerie fire. Saving throws for drow magic are based on the ability chosen to receive the +2 bonus. Caster level equals the drow's character level.
  • Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
  • Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Undercommon.
  • Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Gnome, Goblin.
  • Favored Class: Sorcerer

Commentary
Changed Abilities: humans have a +2 ability score of their choice, no negatives. -2 to Con is the worst ability modifier possible, so the net +2 on these Drow is still worse than that.

Removed Mentally-Shielded: this doesn't stack with Strong-Willed, and they will always overlap since all Enchantments are Will saves.

Removed Racial weapon proficiency: D20r doesn't currently have exotic or martial weapons, making this meaningless.

Added Poison Use: arguably should be the default to begin with, but if it's not the drow should have it.

Added Spell Resistance: 3 + class levels means a caster of the same level as you must roll a 1 or 2 in order to fail against your resistance. It's a 10% chance of failure if the spell caster is the same level and has no CL bonuses - and they'll usually be higher and have those bonuses.

Commentary Light Blindness: this is effectively a negative feat, because in the vast majority of campaigns you'll need to deal with this. Blindness is crippling. Thus, the addition of power above is necessary.

Honestly, Human still looks better to me. But I figured I'd stop here and get some opinions first.

Drow Feats
Only new or changed feats are listed here.

Darkness Adept [Drow]
Prerequisites
  • Drow
  • Intelligence 13
  • Character level 5th

Benefits
Used to the deceptive tactics of your brethren, you have learned to use their own darkness against them. You may see through the magical darkness created by the darkness natural magic of drow, including your own. Moreover, you may add deeper darkness to your list of natural drow magics, and even other drow with this feat cannot see through that darkness. You can, however, see through your own deeper darkness.

You gain one magical charge per day.

Normal
You cannot see through magical darkness, and you cannot cast deeper darkness as a natural drow magic.

Darkness Master [Drow]
Prerequisites
  • Drow
  • Intelligence 19
  • Character level 10th

Benefits
By expending one of your daily charges, you can suffuse the area with true darkness. This effect causes all shadows, natural or magical, to become pitch black and filled with magic, blocking even the improved sight of drow with the Darkness Adept feat; only drow with Darkness Master may see in this shadow. This ability does not, on its own, create new darkness, only improves existing darkness; you should be an old hand at creating your own darkness if necessary. This effect counters and dispels all [Light] effects of 6th level or lower.

Normal
You cannot achieve the above level of darkness as a natural drow magic.

Daylight Adaptation [Drow]
Prerequisites
  • Drow
  • Wisdom 13

Benefit
You have learned to manipulate light as well as the absence of it, and are no longer blinded or dazzled by bright lights. You may also add flare and light to your list of natural drow magics.

Normal
You are blinded for one round upon exposure to bright light, and dazzled thereafter. You cannot cast flare or light as drow magics.

Daylight Adept [Drow]
Prerequisites
  • Drow
  • Daylight Adaptation
  • Wisdom 17
  • Character level 5th

Benefit
You have found light to be a powerful tool in your schemes against less adept drow, and have sought to improve its potency. You may add daylight to your list of natural drow magics.

Normal
You cannot cast daylight as a drow magic.

Daylight Mastery [Drow]
Prerequisites
  • Drow
  • Daylight Adept
  • Wisdom 19
  • Character level 15th

Benefits
Having mastered turning the light to your dark desires, you may add sunburst to your list of natural drow magics.

Normal
You cannot cast sunburst as a drow magic.

Drow Poison Expert [Drow]
Prerequisites
  • Drow
  • Journeyman or better in Craft (Alchemy)
Benefits
If you spend a daily racial charge while making a poison or other alchemical item, you gain the following benefits: You may treat Craft (Alchemy) as an Intelligence-, Wisdom-, or Charisma-based skill, matching the ability which you chose to add your +2 racial bonus to. You may also treat Craft (Poisonmaking) checks as Craft (Alchemy) checks, if doing so would be beneficial to you. Finally, the save DC for Drow poison you make is equal to 10 + your Hero Value + the mental ability score you use for Craft (Alchemy).

Normal
Craft (Alchemy) is an Intelligence-based skill, and Craft (Poisonmaking) is a separate skill. The save DC for Drow poison is 13.

Greater Spell Resistance [Drow]
Prerequisites
  • Drow

Benefit
Your drow spell resistance increases to 6 + class levels.

Normal
Your drow spell resistance is 3 + class levels.

Superior Spell Resistance [Drow]
Prerequisites
  • Drow
  • Greater Spell Resistance

Benefit
Your drow spell resistance increases to 11 + class levels.

Normal
Your drow spell resistance is 6 + class levels.
"change the world..."
DragoonWraith
Site Admin

Re: [Race, Extension] Drow

Postby PId6 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Overall I like it, though I agree that it's still not as good as d20r human, but at least there's reason to take this over human.

Abilities are fine; they're roughly on par with a flat +2 to any, and the fact that you get two +2 stats balance out the -2 Con (since you'd take this only if you benefit from both stat boosts). Potential +2 Wis is a bit weird to me, but I guess it's necessary since female drows are clerics (I'd rather they're all favored souls, but whatever).

Spell Resistance 3 + level is a bit weird to me. I don't like the design of having SR that low, since often that just turns out to be pointless rolling with very little chance of actually doing much. Abilities that force dice rolls that often should probably have a bigger effect, and I think 5 + level would be my minimum there with regards to effect vs annoyance factor.

While the various small bonuses are nice, none of them are exceptional enough that they'd compete with Bonus Feat, so I really don't think Light Sensitivity is needed here. Without that, I think the race is fine as is and decent enough compared to human (though SR 3+ is still annoying). If Light Sensitivity stays (due to flavor, mostly), then drows should probably get a more powerful ability to compensate (something on the level of a feat by itself, such as raising the SR to 10+HD or something like that).

On the feats, Darkness Master seems a bit pointless, since its only benefits over Darkness Adept appear to be that you trump other drow with Darkness Adept (something highly unlikely to ever come into play), and you counter better [light] effects (not that relevant either). Maybe if the darkness did something similar to those warlock invocations...
PId6

Postby Draz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:34 pm

PId6! You're not dead! :D (Your abrupt disappearance from GitP started some rumors ...)
Draz

Postby PId6 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:51 am

Heh, sorry if I worried anyone. Last semester got rather problematic towards the end, and I had to fix some school-related issues in a hurry. Probably going to try devoting more time to schoolwork this semester to avoid what happened last time, though I might appear here and there occasionally.
PId6

Return to d20 Rebirth