Competitor Games

We are the Competition

[Race] Human

For the d20 Rebirth system, headed by Fax Celestis

Moderator: Fax

[Race] Human

Postby Fax » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Humans are adaptable and persistent creatures, and have surprised many stronger races with their survivability despite insurmountable odds and unwelcoming circumstances.

Humans speak Common.

• +2 to one ability score of their choice.
  • Medium size: Humans, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
  • Human: Humans are humanoids with the (Human) subtype.
  • Speed: A human's base land speed is 30 feet.
  • Improvisation: A human has a small pool of improvisational ability they may tap into daily. A human has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to gain a circumstance bonus on the human's next skill check equal to half their Hit Dice (round down, minimum +1) or to power a feat with the [Human] descriptor.

A human bard may use the Improvisation ability gained from that class to power this ability and may also use the charges gained from this ability to power any applicable bard abilities. In short, human bards treat their pool of Improvisation from their class features and from their racial features as one pool.
  • Quick Learner: Humans receive a bonus feat at first level. They must meet all the prerequisites as normal for this feat.
  • Automatic Languages: Common, Any One Other. Bonus Languages: Any.
  • Favored Class: Any. Humans substitute 1/2 their class level plus their Hero Value for their class level when determining the strength of [Progressing] features in any one class of their choice if they have at least three levels in that class.
Deliberately Limited Masterful Mastermind
Fax
Site Admin

Re: [Race] Human

Postby Xzoltar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:09 pm

We are curently using some of the D20r material and for the human we have change the improvisation ability to gaining some of the power of a Factotum level 1 with about 30 feats to improved it, so far it seem to work great with other D20r (we have expand each races to have a minimum of 20 racials feats, as we give 1 feat per level instead of every 2 level like in D20r, most player and npc take about half of their feat as Racial feat, so it give a lot more importance to the race)

So Factotum power could be a alternative to the Improvisation ability (few weeks ago we change your Improvisation ability to the Bard Improvisation spell, and it was working great, but Inspiration points give lot more freedom, a human feel to the character, and we dont have Factotum as a class in our campaign anyway)
Xzoltar

Postby PId6 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:45 am

Some random thoughts:

My problem with racial abilities like Improvisation is that they can be incredibly minor and not useful at lower levels, to the point that they're just forgotten completely. For your first three levels, Improvisation only grants a +1 bonus once per day, which is so minor a boost that it's not worth tracking. The fact that both aspects of the ability (uses per day and bonus granted) improve with level means that it does improve in usefulness at a fast rate, but racial abilities should really have more impact at lower levels, especially since race is one of the biggest distinguishing features of a character when he only has a single class level to his name. A solution would be creating a baseline for the effect so that the starting bonus isn't as minuscule (5 + level / 2 would make the ability a lot more interesting early on). I could see the baseline being a static value (5 is as good a number as any), or a relevant attribute (like the character's highest ability modifier). Either way, I think that racial abilities should have an impact right from level 1 so as to solidify the flavor of the race as well as provide color to characters that otherwise don't have too many ways to distinguish themselves from all the other class 1s.

Putting my ruthless power gamer hat on, when I look at that human, I immediately feel like I have no need for any other race. The choice of +2 to an ability along with the bonus feat means that human becomes a great choice for pretty much any character build, and only rarely would another race be a better choice. While I haven't gone over the other D20r races with a fine-toothed comb, just a casual glance at most of them makes me fairly certain that from a purely power-based perspective, this human is just better than most of the rest. A race like goblin, elf, or gnome just seems like a very sub-par choice when human is available. I have not looked at racial feats yet, so it's possible that they are strong enough to make up this difference, but I doubt it. I think this is a pretty important issue since having races on vastly different levels of power really does hurt variability of character.

Personally, I believe that other races should scale up to the human's power rather than scale the human down, since having different races provide more benefits helps make different characters distinct. Currently, the bonus feat is just worth so much more than most racial features, while the changeable +2 stat is just leagues ahead of the elf's +2 Dex, -2 Int. I think most other races should at least be +2 on two different stats and -2 on one, along with some kind of ability roughly equivalent to a bonus feat. This would make selecting different races a lot more viable since one isn't just superior to all the rest. Human would still be superior in flexibility, which is where it should be best at, but the other races would have their niches too and may be better in specialized builds (a goblin race with -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int along with some kind of decent stealth ability [like Darkstalker] would make for a better rogue, for example, though you know that a human anything would never be too bad).
PId6

Postby DragoonWraith » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:41 pm

I agree. That's why I revamped the Drow...
"change the world..."
DragoonWraith
Site Admin

Return to d20 Rebirth