Competitor Games

We are the Competition

Jargon / Renaming

For Draz's rebuild of 3.5 D&D.

Moderator: Draz

Jargon / Renaming

Postby Draz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

One thing that can always be refined about the rule system is the body of jargon that governs it. So I'd love suggestions if there's a better name for one of the system's Skills, or rules, or whatever. However, discussing vocab changes in the midst of other topics can lead to a lot of derailment. Therefore, I'll make this thread as a place just to discuss the system jargon.

To start out, I'm open to suggestions about the system's name. I like the name CRE8 ... it seems distinctive and like it could get some traction. But I don't know what the acronym should actually stand for.

Originally I came up with the "E8" part based on the E8 rules from ENWorld (i.e. the slightly-expanded version of the more notorious E6 D&D variant). Since I am indeed planning on having normal character progression capped at eight levels, it seemed appropriate. However, with so many other crazy changes to the system, it feels funny to base the system's name on just the 8-level cap. And anyway, I don't know what the 'CR' part should stand for in that case.

So I'm open to suggestions!
Draz

Re: Jargon / Renaming

Postby Siosilvar » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Ilklr wrote:I vote we change "Dexterity" to "Agility." Yes, I know this is splitting hairs, but it's always bugged me in D&D.

It's still just as inaccurate. "Dexterity" and "Agility" are two completely different things, but they're put into the same ability score (or skill in this case, I suppose).
Siosilvar

Postby Draz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Ilklr wrote:I vote we change "Dexterity" to "Agility." Yes, I know this is splitting hairs, but it's always bugged me in D&D.

Oh, no worries, it's definitely always bugged me too.

Siosilvar wrote:It's still just as inaccurate. "Dexterity" and "Agility" are two completely different things, but they're put into the same ability score (or skill in this case, I suppose).

Nope -- good news. The "Dexterity" skill only covers actual dexterity stuff. Lockpicking, pocket picking, gemcutting, stringed musical instrument playing, that sort of thing. Attacking with a rapier or crossbow, if you take the right Talents.

It doesn't affect "agility" tasks, such as dodging attacks (that's the Defense Save) or acrobatic stunts (that's the Athletics skill).
Draz

Postby Draz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:19 am

Candenri has proposed renaming "Feats" to something more descriptive, like "Combat Abilities."

Opinions / debate welcome.
Draz

Postby Siosilvar » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:25 pm

"Combat abilities" more descriptive than "Feats"?

You're still going for heroic fantasy, right? I think "feat" is just fine as a name. It's concise and fits the "feel" of the game. Your hero pulls off feats not accomplishable by others on a regular basis - I think the miniscule flavor provided by the word "feat" isn't something that should be lost.

If you were going for a more generic style, I might see "exploit" working well enough.
Siosilvar

Return to CRE8