Competitor Games

We are the Competition

Nested Spoiler blocks

Any questions or suggestions that you may have for this forum may be posted here. Also, notices regarding technical issues (downtime for upgrades, discussions on updates, etc.) will be found here.

Nested Spoiler blocks

Postby Draz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:07 am

One of the nice features on GitP that doesn't exist on every forum is nested "Hidden" or Spoiler blocks. Out of habit, I used the same technique on my CRE8 forum at one point, and then found that they didn't display properly. I had ugly sentence fragments get left out of the spoilers entirely ... Not hard to fix, but still unfortunate.

The need isn't great, especially since these forums do include that lovely "Tabs" feature, but ... how hard is it to enable nested spoilers?

Also, this might deserve its own thread, but ... how hard is it to make the Forum automatically insert bold or italic tags when the user pushes CTRL+B or CTRL+I, rather than using the web browser's default action for those keystrokes? This is another lovely "deluxe" feature of GitP (and Gmail, as opposed to e.g. Yahoo. Can't figure out why big companies like Yahoo can't figure out little things like this).
Draz

Re: Nested Spoiler blocks

Postby DragoonWraith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Nested spoilers: I'd love to, that drives me nuts. I don't know how, though. The issue has to do with how the software parses tags - i.e. whether it does so intelligently or stupidly. In the case of the spoilers tags, it's the stupid way. In the case of things like the quote tag, though, it gets it right. I don't know how to force it to parse spoilers correctly, though. I mean, on some level, I probably could figure this out (I have written such an "intelligent" parser from scratch before, after all), but I don't really have the time (or, honestly, the inclination) to figure out how to add such a thing to the phpBB3 software.

As a sort of hack workaround, there's actually distinct "spoil" and "spoiler" tags - they do (more-or-less) the same thing, but since they're two different tags, they can actually be used nested without confusing the forum, so that gives you two levels to work with. Deeper nesting than that is, unfortunately, impossible.

As for the Ctrl+B/Ctrl+I thing... I have absolutely no idea. I've never used the feature on GitP (my hands are quite adept at typing [b] and the like at this point), so I dunno. If you want to try to find a mod for phpBB3 that does this (it might exist), I can try to install it.
"change the world..."
DragoonWraith
Site Admin

Re: Nested Spoiler blocks

Postby Draz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 pm

OK. I'll also see if I can remember which Forum I used to visit that, after it had existed for a while, started implementing nested spoilers. It might have been phpBB3 too.
Draz

Return to Site Questions and Suggestions